20110814

Kenny Baker Remembered by Fiddlers, Musicians, Friends!

Becky Buller, accomplished fiddler and songwriter attended the Kenny Baker Tribute Celebration two weeks ago in Nashville.  Baker died of complications from a stroke on July 8th this year.  We asked Ms. Buller if she would tell us about the tribute celebration. Here is what she had to say:
Tunes, tall tales, and lots of laughter were shared the Wednesday before last at the Ernest Tubb Texas Troubador Theater in Nashville, Tenn., to celebrate and remember the great Kenny Baker. Wish I'd thought to bring my own fiddle as I was invited to play as well...drat the lack of constant Internet...I missed that Facebook message! Had a great time with Jeff and my father-in-law listening to my other heroes honoring this one.
...Becky also posted a short Video Clip of the event Here ...
Masters of Ceremonies were Bobby Osborne and Lance LeRoy. Ron Eldridge, longtime friend of Baker, coordinated the event and the Ernest Tubb Record Shop donated use of the theater.
Stuart Duncan and Aubrey Haynie opened things up with a twiddle rendition of "Back Up And Push," with the help of Mike Bubb, Kenny Smith, Bobby Clark, and Jim Hitchcock.

Then Stuart shared his story of buying a fiddle from Baker at Bean Blossom many moons ago. He played a couple tunes off the elusive "Uncle Penn" album, one being "Methodist Preacher." Monroe and the boys didn't get a hurry on that record; every tune is played so easy, just the right tempo for each, leaving the listener refreshed. And Baker is so smooth. Stuart's own recording of this is one of my favorites.

Mike Bub told about the time he got coffee on Bill Monroe's enormous white hat...one of Bobby Osborne's favorite stories.

Music continued from the Whites, Leona Williams, Fred Carpenter, Randal Collins, Buddy Spicher, and so many more.

I first became aware of Baker's music when my dad handed me a copy of "Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe" as well as Baker's Homespun video. I was 10 or 11...hadn't been playing long. On the video, I discovered a grumpy looking dude who played as sweet and smooth as honey, but looked as if he'd rather be anywhere else. I giggled at his belly; you could tell which tunes were filmed right after lunch. I learned every tune off of that video and to this day recommend it to my students.
Only once did I get to play music with Baker. I followed him around at the Summersville W.V., festival for three hours that Saturday night until he promised to pick a few tunes with me. He was really very nice about it. We played, "Doc Harris The Fisherman," among others. I wouldn't trade that memory for worlds.

Thanks for all the great music, Mr. Baker.

Becky BullerManchester, Tenn.

Becky also posted a short video clip of the event here.

No comments: